Cliffside is a neighbourhood in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, located along the Scarborough Bluffs in the district of Scarborough. Its boundaries are Kennedy Road to the west (where Kingston and Danforth Road merge), St. Clair Avenue East to the north, Brimley Road to the east, and the Bluffs on the lakeshore to the south. Most of the houses were built in the early to mid-1960's with the baby boom and the mass expansion of the surrounding Toronto suburbs (Scarborough, North York etc.) at the time.
Above is the picture of the Ol' Halfway House formerly found on the corner of Midland and Kingston Road in Cliffside. Built in the 1830s this grand dame was used as a popular summer rendevous for members of bicycle clubs, and in the winter is was a social centre for sleighing parties and dances in the huge second story Ballroom.
Today Cliffside is still a charming area, with many small shops, wonderful parks like Bluffer’s Park, bike trails, sports fields, and of course is only steps from Lake Ontario.
Cliffside has many types of homes including wonderful post war bungalows and 1.5 story homes, some affordable semi-detached homes, and condominiums.
PUBLIC SCHOOLS –
BIRCH CLIFF HEIGHTS PUBLIC SCHOOL (Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8)
ADDRESS: 120 Highview Ave, Scarborough, ON, M1N 2J1 / TELEPHONE: 416-396-6065
Principal: Jason Hayter
JOHN A. LESLIE PUBLIC SCHOOL (Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8)
ADDRESS: 459 Midland Ave, Scarborough, ON / TELEPHONE: 416-396-6380
Principal: Greg McLeod
BIRCHMOUNT PARK COLLEGIATE INSTITUE (Highschool - Grades 9-12)
ADDRESS: 3663 Danforth Ave, Scarborough, ON, M1N 2G2 / TELEPHONE: 416-396-6704
Principal: David Rowan
R.H. KING ACADEMY: (Highschool – Grades 9-12)
ADDRESS: 3800 St Clair Ave E, Scarborough, ON / TELEPHONE: 416-396-5550
Principal: Tommy Jutcovich
ST. THERESA SHRINE CATHOLIC SCHOOL (Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8)
ADDRESS: 2559 Kingston Road, Scarborough, Ontario M1M 1M1 / TELEPHONE: 416-393-5248
Principal: Sheila Flood
BLESSED CARDINAL NEWMAN CATHOLIC SCHOOL (Highschool – Grades 9-12)
ADDRESS: 100 Brimley Road South, Scarborough, Ontario M1M 3X4 / TELEPHONE: 416-393-5519
Principal: Joan Tschernow
****Attendance boundaries and admission criteria for schools and/or programs may be changed at any time in accordance with Board policy and procedures - - It is recommend to contact the Toronto District School Board and or the Toronto District Catholic School Board to find out the exact school a certain address is associated with. *****
WHAT’S HAPPENING in CLIFFSIDE
In 2011 Cliffside homes range from $250,000 for a real fixer-upper to a fully renovated home overlooking Lake Ontario for $1,928,000. The average SOLD price for a home in Cliffside was $513,000. Like other areas in the Bluffs, the renovation market is booming and many of the original homes are being ‘topped up’ and or torn down and replaced with very nice 2 story 3 and 4 bedroom homes. Topped up 3-4 bedroom homes start at $800,000. Cliffside offers many detached, semi-detached, and a few original 2 story homes.
1) CIBC - 2472 Kingston Rd. Scarborough, ON, M1N1V3 | 416.266.4261
2) TD Canada Trust - 4 Greystone Walk Dr, Toronto, ON M1L 3Z5 | 416.690.5018
3) Scotiabank - 2479 Kingston Road, Scarborough, ON, M1N1V4 | 416.264.5160
4) RBC - 3090 Kingston Rd, Scarborough, ON, M1M 1P1 | 416.266.7600
Cliffside Hearth Bread Company – 3047 Kingston Road, Scarborough, ON, M1M 1P1 | 416.261.1010
1) METRO - 3221 Eglinton Ave. E, Scarborough, Ontario, M1J2H7
2) Rod & Joe's No Frills - 2471 Kingston Rd, Scarborough, ON
1) HOME DEPOT - 2911 Eglinton Ave E, Toronto, ON M1J 2E5 | 416.289.2500
2) Canadian Tire - 2850 Kingston Rd. Scarborough, ON,M1M 1M7 | 416.261.3384
1) ALBERT CAMBELL Memorial Library - 496 Birchmount Road, Toronto, ON
M1K 1N8 | 416.396.8890
2) Cliffcrest Public Library - 3017 Kingston Road, Toronto, ON , M1M 1P1 | 416.396.8916
RESTAURANTS and PUBS:
1) Vi Pei Bistro – Good food + HUGE portions - 2258 Kingston Rd. | 416.266.4565
2) Gourmet Schnitzel House - Very good reviews - 2286 Kingston Road, Scarborough, On | 416.264.7268
3) The WORKING DOG Saloon – great place for a pint and some great food - 3676 St. Clair Ave. East Scarborough, ON | 647.347.2339
1) Scarborough Bluffs Tennis Club – www.sbtennis.org
2) Birchmount Park – 93 Birchmount Road
1) OUTDOOR summer Pool - H.A. HALBERT - 24 Rockwood Dr | Open June 25th – Sept 4th.
2) INDOOR All Season - BIRCHMOUNT PARK - 93 Birchmount Rd, Scarborough, ON
1) The TORONTO Hunt Club – The Toronto Hunt Club was established in 1843 as a Hunting and Social Club. Today The Toronto Hunt is a private club owned exclusively by its members. Its spectacular setting perched high above Lake Ontario on the Scarborough Bluffs, is one of the most unique in Canada. Just minutes from downtown Toronto, the Club hosts a beautiful 9 hole golf course and a full calendar of dining and social activities.
2) Dentonia Park Golf Course – Dentonia is a City of Toronto public golf course. This course is perfect for beginners or advanced golfers looking to improve their short game as it is an Executive Par 3 course.
Bike and Bike Trails and Hiking / Walking / Trails
Toronto's bike network consists of more than 160 km of bike paths and 250 km of bike lanes and shared roadway. The city plans to eventually expand its bike network to a total of 1,000 km.
Cliffside is close to the Bluffs which has many parks to ride a Mountain Bike along. Scarborough Bluffs Parks is a good starting point for all manners of biking, hiking or walking. Bluffs Marina Park is also another great location for walking, hiking, biking, and has many nature trails.
Rosetta McClain Gardens has to get a mention. At the height of the Scarborough Bluffer’s Park, lies the Rosetta McCain Gardens. Renowned for its spectacular views of Lake Ontario, it features a pathway that’s lined with bright red calla lilies and leads through an herb and scented garden, a perennial garden, and a rose garden. Amidst the limestone rockery, there are begonias, geraniums and cardoons. The shell of an old pine house serves as a reminder of a family farm that once dominated tes space. The accessible design of Rosetta McClain Gardens makes it a haven for flower connoisseurs, bird and butterfly watchers, and a surreal backdrop for wedding photographs.
TRANSPORTATION by TRANSIT
Access to all transit is convenient and fast. Victoria Park Subway TTC station is a 5 minute car ride, or a 15 minutes bus ride. This station is part of the DANFORTH subway TTC line.
The SCARBOROUGH GO station is almost walking distance for all of the Cliffside Area. This station is only TWO STOPS away from Union Station and it will only take 15 minutes to get you to downtown Toronto.
TRANSPORTATION by CAR
Downtown Toronto in rush hour from Cliffside is about 20-25 minutes away. Kingston Road is a very convenient way to get to the east end of the city. The 401 is about 10 minutes away with access from Kennedy and or Brimley exchanges. The Don Valley Parkway is about 10 minutes away at Eglinton.