Birch Cliff is a neighbourhood in Toronto, Canada. It is located in the southwest part of the old city of Scarborough running along the shore of Lake Ontario atop the eastern part of the Scarborough Bluffs. Birch Cliff borders Victoria Park to the West, Birchmount Road to the East, Danforth Ave to the North and Lake Ontario to the South.
The area was first developed as the home of the Toronto Hunt Club in 1895 when the region was still mostly farms and woodland. Around the club a number of cottages were erected. One long time cottager John Stark, who had a cottage lot surrounded by tall strand of Birch trees aptly named his cottage “BIRCH CLIFF”.
This name was also adopted by the local post office and became the name for the neighbourhood.
Today Birch Cliff is still a charming area, with many small shops, wonderful parks like Rosetta McCain Gardens, bike trails, sports fields, and of course is only steps from Lake Ontario.
Birch Cliff has many types of homes including old 1900 Tudor / Elizabethan style houses, wonderful post war bungalows and 1.5 story homes, some affordable semi-detached homes, and recently a few low story condominiums.
BIRCH CLIFF SCHOOLS:
PUBLIC SCHOOLS -
BLANTYRE PUBLIC SCHOOL (Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8)
ADDRESS: 290 Blantyre Ave, Scarborough, ON M1N2S4 / TELEPHONE: 416-396-6070
Principal – Mr. Andrew Cooper
COURCELETTE PUBLIC SCHOOL (Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8)
ADDRESS: 100 Fallingbrook Rd, Scarborough, ON, M1N 2T6 / TELEPHONE: 416-396-6185
Principal - Phany Captsis
BIRCH CLIFF HEIGHTS PUBLIC SCHOOL (Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8)
ADDRESS: 120 Highview Ave, Scarborough, ON, M1N 2J1 / TELEPHONE: 416-396-6065
Principal: Jason Hayter
BIRCH CLIFF PUBLIC SCHOOL (Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8)
ADDRESS: 1650 Kingston Road, Scarborough, ON M1N 1S2 / TELEPHONE: 416-396-6060
Principal: Patricia Muir
BIRCHMOUNT PARK COLLEGIATE INSTITUE (Highschool - Grades 9-12)
ADDRESS: 3663 Danforth Ave, Scarborough, ON, M1N 2G2 / TELEPHONE: 416-396-6704
Principal: David Rowan
MALVERN COLLEGIATE INSTITUTE: (Highschool – Grades 9-12)
ADDRESS: 55 Malvern Ave, Toronto, ON, M4E 3E4 / TELEPHONE: 416-393-1480
Principal: Line Pinard
ST. DENIS CATHOLIC SCHOOL (Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8)
ADDRESS: 67 Balsam Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M4E 3B8 / TELEPHONE: 416-393-5310
Principal: Katherine Banfield
ST. DUNSTAN CATHOLIC SCHOOL (Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8)
ADDRESS: 14 Pharmacy Avenue, Scarborough, Ontario M1L 3E4 / 416-393-5241
Principal: Allan MacMillan
ST. JOHN CATHOLIC SCHOOL (Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8)
ADDRESS: 780 Kingston Road, Toronto, Ontario M4E 1R7 / TELEPHONE: 416-393-5220
Principal: Julio Sousa
NOTRE DAME CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL – (All Girls Grades 9-12)
ADDRESS: 12 Malvern Ave, Toronto, ON, M4E 3E1 / TELEPHONE: 416-393-5501
Principal: Oksana Kawun
NEIL McNEIL CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL (All BOYS Grades 9-12)
ADDRESS: 127 Victoria Park Ave, Scarborough, ON, M4E 3S2 / TELEPHONE: 416-393-5502
Principal: Michael Wallace
****Attendance boundaries and admission criteria for schools and/or programs may be changed at any time in accordance with Board policy and procedures - - It is recommend to contact the Toronto District School Board and or the Toronto District Catholic School Board to find out the exact school a certain address is assocaited with. *****
WHAT’S HAPPENING in BIRCH CLIFF
Birch Cliff homes range from $300,000 for a real fixer-upper to a fully renovated home overlooking Lake Ontario for $1,950,000. The renovation market is booming and many of the original homes are being ‘topped up’ and or torn down and replaced with very nice 2 story 3 and 4 bedroom homes. Birch Cliff offers many detached, semi-detached, and a few original 2 story homes. Birch Cliff is home to a few older condominiums. Henley Gardens condominium is a nice quiet complex with some of the upper units having fantastic city and Lake Ontario views. Falling Brook Condominium is the newest condominium to the area. Falling Brook's 42 terraced loft units cascade north and south to take full advantage of site topography and lake and park views.
1) CIBC - 50 Musgrave St. Toronto, ON
2) TD Canada Trust - 1448 Kingston Rd, Toronto, ON
3) Scotiabank - 1016 Kingston Road, Toronto, ON
4) RBC - 936 Kingston Rd, Toronto, ON
MARKETS BY THE BLUFFS:
Markets By The Bluffs hosts two summer farmers’ markets that are truly community events with a homemade, handmade, earth made mandate. Both markets feature the traditional market fare including farm fresh produce, fruit, meats, cheese, fresh baked bread, sweet and savoury baked goods, meals-to-go, honey, preserves, granola, soups and tantalizing treats. They also feature local artisans including, Métis art, jewellery, pottery and photography. Natural soaps, candles and more are all value added products that you’ll find at your local market.
For more information go to their website - http://www.marketsbythebluffs.com/index.html
Bread King Bakeries Limited – 462 Birchmount Road
1) Loblaws - Victoria Park Market - 50 Musgrave St, Toronto, ON
2) Beach Valu Mart - 2266 Queen St. East, Toronto, ON
3) No Frills - 2471 Kingston Rd, Scarborough, ON
1) HOME DEPOT - 7 Curity Avenue, Toronto, ON
2) Canadian Tire - 2681 Danforth Ave., Toronto, ON
1) Taylor Memorial Library - 1440 Kingston Road, Toronto, ON
1) WIMPY’s – Great Burger place! - 1496 Kingston Road, Scarborough, ON
2) Vi Vetha – Good food, nice atmosphere, HUGE portions - 2485 QUEEN STREET EAST, TOR. ON
3) Gourmet Schnitzel House - Very good client reviews - 2286 Kingston Road, Scarborough, On
1) Kew Gardens Tennis Club – http://www.kewgardenstennis.ca/
2) Scarborough Bluffs Tennis Club – www.sbtennis.org
3) Prairie Drive Public Courts - 70 Prairie Drive.
1) OUTDOOR summer Pool – Blantyre Pool – 150 Fallingbrook Ave. Open June 25th – Sept 4th.
2) INDOOR All Season – BIRCHMOUNT PARK - 93 Birchmount Rd, Scarborough, ON
1) The TORONTO Hunt Club – The Toronto Hunt Club was established in 1843 as a Hunting and Social Club. Today The Toronto Hunt is a private club owned exclusively by its members. Its spectacular setting perched high above Lake Ontario on the Scarborough Bluffs, is one of the most unique in Canada. Just minutes from downtown Toronto, the Club hosts a beautiful 9 hole golf course and a full calendar of dining and social activities.
2) Dentonia Park Golf Course – Dentonia is a City of Toronto public golf course. This course is perfect for beginners or advanced golfers looking to improve their short game as it is an Executive Par 3 course.
Bike and Bike Trails and Hiking / Walking Trails
Toronto's bike network consists of more than 160 km of bike paths and 250 km of bike lanes and shared roadway. The city plans to eventually expand its bike network to a total of 1,000 km.
Birch Cliff is close to the Bluffs which has many parks to ride a Mountain Bike along. Scarborough Bluffs Parks is a good starting point for all manners of biking, hiking or walking. Bluffs Marina Park is also another great location for walking, hiking, biking, and has many nature trails.
TRANSPORTATOIN by TRANSIT
Access to all transit is convenient and fast. Victoria Park Subway TTC station is a 5 minute car ride, or a 15 minutes bus ride. This station is part of the DANFORTH subway TTC line.
The MAIN Street GO station is less than 1km away from Victoria Park and Danforth Ave. This station is only ONE STOP away from Union Station and it will only take 10 minutes to get you to downtown Toronto.
TRANSPORTATION by CAR
Downtown Toronto in rush hour from Birch Cliff is about 15-20 minutes away. Kingston Road is a very convenient way to get to the east end of the city. The Don Valley Parkway is about 10 minutes away.